Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have A 2005 CHEVY EQUINOX and the power steering is

Customer Question
I have A 2005...

I have A 2005 CHEVY EQUINOX and the power steering is binding up on turns

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I know its a motor and not a pump, so low fluid is not an issue. Can this be remedied

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/24/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

I am sorry your having this problem

which way turning will it bind up ?

and it is more of a going very stiff kind of feeling ?

this should be electric steering in this vehicle is that correct ?

are there any lights on in the dash at all ?

did this problem happen out of the blue one day ?

was anything done to it to where now you have this issue ?

Hi Gary. It is more of a going stiff kind of feeling. It does this both ways. It is electric steering. No lights on is the dash. I just bought the car used, so not sure how long this is going on.
I am pretty handy. I would like to know how to address this problem, where to start and instructions from there.Thanks

boy these electric steering's are tough to diagnose with out a higher end scan too

usually with NO lights on in the dash the next thing would be to see if there are any codes set in the computers history for the steering if NO codes are set then usually the next step is to with the scan tool re-calibrate the steering motor with the torque steer and other 2 things and see how it operates usually between if there are any codes or not and the re calibration usually corrects this type of issue

we have had a few ones acting like this but they usually set codes for bad motors or modules

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

how are you making out ?

not good. There is also a rubbing sound inside the cab when turning the wheel to either side.

i would get this to a shop that can communicate with the steering and check for codes next