Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2014 suburban has 50,000. It never felt aligned properly.

Customer Question
It never tracked straight,but, rather...
My 2014 suburban has 50,000. It never felt aligned properly. It never tracked straight,but, rather felt you were always slightly working to track straight. Had to aligned 2x at Chevy dealer, 1x at ford dealer. Then bought new michelins at independent tire co and 1x there.. Still same problem. Told by tire co the rack and pinion might be messed up. How should I continue to remedy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/24/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago
Reggie Whiddon

Hello do you have a copy of the alignment they should have given you a printout. I would like to know what they have adjusted it to. Factory specs have a broad range the printout can be in the "green" and your truck drive like crap.

Which way is it pulling? I live down south our roads are sloped pretty good so when we line a vehicle up we set it to pull to the left which makes it track good. A good alignment tech should be able to listen to your complaint and adjust the vehicle accordingly. Also your tire pressures play a big part in this. We dont go by what is on the door, reason being alot of times engineers will overcome a suspension flaw by severly lowering tire pressure to soften the ride. We have found 40 psi to work the best your fuel economy and increased tire life as well as more control from steering.

I want to add to that the dealer is often times the worse place to go there techs are like robots that know one thing on one car. Your vehicle is an awesome smooth handling machine, my boss wife drives the escalade, same chassis same year weve ligned it up and it is perfect. As far as it being your rack and pinion, unless it is binding or has loss play i wouldnt think so.

I am sorry your going through this, my advice is to find a good chassis spring alignment shop. If you are near a big town oftne you can find a shop that specializes in wrecks and modifications, in other words they understand what each adjustment does to the vehicle. Sadly today alignment techs practice a toe n go policy meaning your toe is set and thats it

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi did I satisfy your question