Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1996 5.7L vortec I have changed crankshaft sensor, throttle

Customer Question

1996 5.7L vortec I have changed crankshaft sensor, throttle position sensor, distributor ignition pickup, ignition coil, and the ignition control module and still not getting a spark
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no spark out of the coil when cranking it over testing with the coil wire OUT of the coil ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I have..think I have got it down to a bad ecu
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

so you HAVE spark out of the coil cranking it over ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one both counts..I bought a tester and it wasn't getting anything out of the coil. I checked the gauges every time I replaced something
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok but with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

you sure ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I was just out there looking at it
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok can you see if the fuse called ECM1 and ECMB and ENG1 in the under hood fuse box all show 12 volts at them testing them in place through the little openings in the tops of those fuses with the key ON ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I get back with you tomorrow? Trying to get the little one to bed
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if that check engine light is NOT on either the computer is missing power or a ground or is bad

if those 3 fuses are NOT blown and if any of them show no volts or well under 12 volts then usually the ignition switch is bad not fully powering one or all those fuses and replacing the ignition switch will correct the power to them

if you have any questions please ask as i do NOT get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

let me know how it goes

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer