Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My car keeps over heating and blowing cool air when at idle,

Customer Question
My car keeps over...

My car keeps over heating and blowing cool air when at idle, changed the thermostat, fluid is up, dont get it

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

2006 chevy equinox,

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

The thermastate, fluids up, checked for leaks,

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/22/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what was the reason for overheating??? the issue is if it is constantly overheating, you may have damaged the head gasket. when that happens, compression leaks into the cooling system and air is the result. the heater core is at the top of the cooling system and thats why you have no heat

you can get a chemical kit at a parts store to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant. chances are there will be which will require removal of the cylinder head and replacing the gasket

Roy