Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2010 Silverado 5.3 has low oil pressure at cold start and

Customer Question
then after driving a little...
2010 Silverado 5.3 has low oil pressure at cold start and then after driving a little has no oil pressure...need help trouble shooting this problem don't want to replace oil pump for nothing
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2016
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

have you verified oil pressure with a external mechanical gauge
?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No where can you connect one?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In the same hole as the oil pressure sensor?

correct the fitting adapter is part # ***** - Oil Pressure Adapter http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moore-J-21867-6-Adapter-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-J21867-6_p_21132.html

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you do this with out removing intake?

yes but its a bare to get in there but it can be done yes..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already put a new oil pressure sensor in nothing changed still did same thing

well its the best way to verify if its truly weak oil pressure or gauge or sender issue. are you the original owner? do you know the maintenance history since day 1?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No i just got the truck
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the oil pressure readings are correct what would the next step be?

how many miles? any engine noise? any lights? any signs of sludge or lack of maintenance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Around 110,000 no lights besides the oil pressure i changed the oil and filter as well. The oil that came out was black. Should i try flushing the motor with something?

I would generally I flush by putting 50 percent oil and 50 percent tranny fluid and drive it around a few days...it cleans the motor real well

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ive heard of that before... What else could it be besides sludge causing the oil pressure drops

oil pump sludge or internal bearing failure rod or main bearings

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ill try flushing it and then mechanical guage oil pressure and if its really got oil pressure dropping out then the motor is shot?

well it could be oil pump and or bearings...tear down to find extent of damage or motor replacement would be the next step

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ill see what happens could you send me the procedure for replacing oil pump?

is it 4x4?

its a big job 8.5 hours

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds like fun

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy