Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Blower motor resistor gets so hot it actually cracks the

Customer Question
circuit board. i have replaced...
blower motor resistor gets so hot it actually cracks the circuit board. i have replaced the resistor 3 times from different companies, the blower motor and the plug in to resistor. we unplugged the switch and jumped the wires with the same result. new blower motor has batter voltage and is drawing 14 amps
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: always works on high with out issue
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
2/19/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

what is the year,make,model and engine size?

are you saying you did replace the blower motor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5. And yes replaced blower motor and pig tail plug in for resistor

the motor is pulling too many amps...is it grounded well?

maybe try running a ground wire from the motor to the body of the car..for it to pull this many amps ,,it seems it isnt grounded well

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ran a new ground from blower motor wire at plug in to body ground

this doesnt make sense,,

where are you getting the resisters?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got 2 from advanced Auto and 1 from oreilys

lets try one from the dealer...there is just no other reason for this..nothing else left.

do you need a part#?

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Blower Motor Resistor

Resistor

Without ATC

15831065$45.00

Contact Dealer for most current part and price information

With ATC

15855749$173.26

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can get it. I am going to try another blower motor first and then go the dealer route

yes,,that would be what to do..

this is somewhat kinda strange.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looking at schematic, it appears bcm has internal relay. One side of relay controls the resistor voltage low, med low, and medical high. The other side controls high only. Could there be a problem there

there is always be a possibility it being the bcm,,but,that doesnt explain why the resister would burn up to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just tried new resistor from dealer and with in 20 seconds got so hot I couldn't touch it without burning my fingers

the resister will get hot...did you try another motor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did try the other motor with the same results. Is it going to get hot enough to burn a blister on my fingers? I'm sure it will get hotter due to voltage running through it and the blower will provide some cooling. But getting that hot? Idk

they get pretty hot..

\all i know to tll you on this one,,is to run it and see if it holds up..

this doesnt make allot of sense.

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic