Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Impala, factory alarm is acting up, sometimes…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Impala...
I have a 2001 Impala, factory alarm is acting up, sometimes it won't start or crank, horn goes off by it self, just does weird stuff. want to know how to turn off alarm all together. manual says use the radio but it doesn't go to alarm settings
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/19/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this is the immobilizer that is keeping the vehicle from starting usually this cannot be bypassed manually.If the horn is going off with this issue here as well you might have a fault with the door latch sending an incorrect signal that a door is locked when it is actually unlocked which can cause the horn issue as well as the no start in some cases.Most common is a fault with the drivers door latch itself as this is the door that is used the most.

I would have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed and repaired.

You can try a bypass kit for your alarm from http://newrockies.com/ as this will bypass the immobilizer all together.It comes with easy to follow instructions on how to install it as well as customer support if needed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician