Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Removed head repaired exhaust valves was having rough idle

Customer Question
Removed head repaired burnt exhaust...
Removed head repaired burnt exhaust valves was having rough idle and misfire code cyl 4 had 90 lbs compression. .. was having problems with phrasing the exhaust sprocket so recommend to replace exhaust sprocket they got it from o'reilly's put it on now have a code 0014 ... replaced actuator as well same thing. .. tried putting power to actuator while running nothing happens its clicking but no change in idle
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
2/18/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

Most of the times, the symptoms you describe are the result of oil not getting to the actuator assembly due to plugged passages or dirty screens.

The camshaft position actuator control valve directs oil from the oil feed in the head to the camshaft position actuator. A filter screen protects each oil port from any contamination in the oil supply. During start-up, when little oil pressure is available, an internal spring loaded locking pin keeps the rotor and stator locked together in the home position. When phasing is desired oil pressure is applied to the phaser unlocking the pin.

The camshaft front journal has a drilled oil hole to allow camshaft position actuator control oil to transfer from the cylinder head to the camshaft position actuator. Oil in this oil passage is used to move the camshaft position actuator to the default or home position. The camshaft position actuator is mounted to the front end of the camshaft and the timing notch in the nose of the camshaft aligns with the dowel pin in the camshaft position actuator to ensure proper cam timing and camshaft position actuator oil hole alignment.

In cases where there's a lot of carbon and sludge build-up, the oil passage needs to be cleaned starting from the top at the cam journal and ending at the oil control valve on the side. I've attached a graphic showing the location of the oil control valve/solenoid for your reference.

Also, please remember that any oil that might have gotten into that new cam actuator will have to be drained/purged out of it before it can be reinstalled and properly timed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me at this time.

Best Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have oil pressure. ..

You mean you have checked that there is oil pressure at the cam actuator once the control valve is activated?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have oil at the actuator

Man, I really do want to help you, but things like "I have oil pressure" and "Yes have oil at the actuator" don't tell me the specific information I need to diagnose this issue. Can you tell me whether or not the control valve is being energized by the onboard computer?

After thinking this through, I've realized there is nothing else that I could do to help you at this point. I'll opt out so others can try. Please do not reply to this post of the site will revert your request back to me.

Best Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are getting power to actuator ...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just would like to get my money back please
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician