Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 99 Chevy tracker 2.0 L 4 x 4 and it will not start.

Customer Question
I have a 99 Chevy...
I have a 99 Chevy tracker 2.0 L 4 x 4 and it will not start . It has spark it has compression and it has feel I do have an RPM readIng. My local mechanic can't figure it out.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it may have a bd crank sensor as that signal is what commands the pcm to fire the fuel injectors.

is there any codes???

Roy

An EGR code only. But if you give it a little ether though the throttle body it still won't start or run. The timing marks look to be correct via si. It has new one spark plugs gapped at .40 . What else tcould it be? The best we have gotten is it to pop a couple of times.

you said it has fuel??? what is the fuel pressure??? what is the compression????

Roy

The compression is that 150 per cylinder and the fuel pressure sitting at around 58 through 65 PSI

how is the spark???

Roy

Bright white Sparks on all cylinders

did he have the distributor out during the timing belt replacement???

Roy

There is no distributor it's fuel injected and it has timing chains not a timing belt and they are all tight and in time.
it is in the right cam is sitting at about 3 o'clock and the left cam is sitting at about 9 o'clock at TDC

according to the diagram, that is not correct. do all the line line up as in the picture???

Roy

I was mistaken I talked with the tech and it is at those marks this Tech works at a Chevy dealer.

and he cannot get it running??? wow. I am out of ideas. I will open this up to the other guys to see if they have any better ideas

Roy

K thank you I do have some mechanical experience but this one through me through a loop that's the reason why I wanted to get others ideas
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will try to help. What are the code numbers he is getting?

The dealership is already closed but I know it was an EGR code he said he said that he even went so far as to remove the EGR tube and block off the intake piece to aluminate the EGR as the issue. He also took out the O2 sensor to aluminate a restricted exhaust
The tracker did run and drive five months ago but then the crank pulley rubber went bad and so it was parked
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I see that compression is at 150 per cylinder.... Can you post the results for each cylinder when you reach him and the codes? I was thinking crank sensor signal as well but it seams you are getting RPM reading and fuel and spark. If the timing and other checks check out good I recommend locating a test ECM and trying that.

Ok I'll let you know what the code is tomorrow.
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Sounds good.

P404
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
From what I read it will not want to Idle but it doesn't even want to start . The best that we've gotten is for it to pop a couple of times.
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Have you tried unplugging the EGR? Also removing it to see if it is carboned up and sticking? another thing the troubleshooting says is a possible failed PCM.

Yeah the only problem that I have with the PCM failure is a fact I still get RPM reading We can read all the sensors and they all are showing and we can function the EGR it just is not within parameters
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I had an EGR cause a crank no start on a 2.2 L GM engine before actually. I luckily had another faulty EGR but it allowed the engine to start but idle erratically where one would not. It was odd but sometimes strange things can happen..

I'll have them put one in and see what happens. I thing is i'm one of those type of people I don't like throwing parts at things
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

In this case the EGR is definitely bad and needs to be changed but I understand it may or may not be a cause of your no start but you can get these pretty inexpensive on the web if you do not mind waiting... I believe you can find them for 30-50 range online rather than 65- over 100 at some parts stores

Where did you find yours online for between 30 and $50? The cheapest one I found runs $235
The part number I found ACDELCO(###) ###-####
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I was referencing the one for the 2.2 L I had to buy. Sorry for the confusion.... I just checked on this one and the cheapest is around 230.00 on e bay free shipping. BWD EGR1681 or EGR Valve NAPA 226581

we finally figured out what it was . It'd been crank so many times that the oil had so much gas in it that it was flooding the cylinders. After an oil change and cleaning up the spark plugs and clearing the cylinders it fired right up and runs good . Who would've thought it would've been something so simple .