Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 chevy silverado hd 6.0 with a B0103 electronic…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a 2003 chevy silverado hd 6.0 with a B0103 electronic front end sensor 2 performance code. I have replaced the passenger side sensor with a Dorman one and the code is not cleared. i moved the sensor from the passenger side to driver side and no new codes came up (aka B0100) so i suspect something else. what is that something else?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When i clear the DTC, it sets within seconds. i have not checked SIR fuse although the wiring under the hood and under the seat seams fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/18/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since you have already tried the new sensor and you tried to swap the sensor over and received a new code here for the front send sensor issue this indicates that either the wiring or connection to the front end sensors is damaged or corroded needing corrected or a wiring fault is present leading to the SDM (sensing and diagnostic module/air bag computer).I would start with checking the wiring and wiring connections for any issues needing repaired.If all wiring is found to be o.k. this can be the SDM itself needing replaced as it can fail internally and cause this code and issue here.The new SDM would need to be set up and programmed by a dealer after it has been replaced.

Below is the diagnostic test procedure for the code B0100 here.There is a chance the new sensor you obtained is faulty.You might check and see if the place you purchased it from will parts warranty it and give you another one at no charge as they will usually do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfot6yceomthpsl/b-02-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0b58avinvf6sxp/b0-02-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0osi85ov1ifhyn/b00-02-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pwyrc5d27qukwi/b000-02-18.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

my DTC is B0103. I installed the new sensor into passenger side, cleared code and turned on vehicle and then B0103 code set. just for kicks, I pulled the sensor out of driver side and replaced it with the one I had just pulled out from passenger side, cleared code, started vehicle and B0103 code came back. no codes for B0100 ever set..... this seems to indicate the B0103 code is NOT being set by the sensor....Your test procedures are for B0100. Do they work for B0103?

I thought the B0100 was still setting which is why I posted that procedure and I apologize for that.Here is the procedure for B0103 to follow to pinpoint the fault here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppomtjsbeb6dale/b1-02-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxttusiyazeqxgl/b2-02-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6x5zvheuoj206o/b3-02-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlpud7l8afgx3qq/b4-02-18.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician