Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I picked up a interior Heater/Defroster 2009 Chevy Impala.

Customer Question
I picked up a...

I picked up a interior Heater/Defroster for my 2009 Chevy Impala. The device states: Do not plug into a cigarette lighter. That it needs a : 12 volt DC receptacle that is rated at 15 A. The owners manual states that the 3 accessory power outlets are rated at 12 volts, but I cannot figure out if they are 15A???

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Nothing, just reading instructions to see if it will fit.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/17/2016
Chevy Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

The receptacles are fused at 20 amps so you can run this from the receptacle BUT I have seen this type of device damage the receptacle so to be safe and to run this you will need a dedicated circuit from the battery. You can connect an inline fuse to the battery positive with 14 or 12 gauge wire, install a 20 amp fuse and a lighter outlet to plug the heater in. Outside of installing a dedicated circuit there is no safe way to operate it with your system.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Click here for diagram

Check that and it is how the chain should be installed