Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

SERVICE AWD LIGHT ON?
, 2003 AWD ONLY REAR WHEEL

Customer Question
SERVICE AWD LIGHT ON...

SERVICE AWD LIGHT ON?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

2003 AWD ONLY REAR WHEEL ENGAGEING WHEN LIGHT IS ON . LIGHT COME ON AND OFF. WHEN OFF AWD WORKS OK.

Mechanic's Assistant: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

YES IF POSSIBLE.

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

SOME PEOLPE TOLD ME THE BODY CONTROL MODUEL

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?

I DONT THINK SO.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

What model of Chevy are you working on?

Astro 2003 AWD

OK. This van has a transfer case control module, and if the AWD light is coming on, that means it's setting a trouble code, which can be used to diagnose problems.

It will require a high quality scan tool to retrieve these trouble codes, a regular "code reader" won't do it. Without these codes, this is going to just be guesswork, and that's going to be a lot more expensive than hiring a mechanic to diagnose it for you.

The body control module has nothing to do with this. This is exactly what I mean by saving money with good diagnosis, the people that tell you it needs a BCM are way, way off. I'd hate for you to spend your money on bad advice, the best advice here is to hire someone with the right equipment to diagnose it. It could be as simple as a faulty speed sensor, or more expensive like a failed encoder motor.