Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy equinox starts hard like the fuel is not holding

Customer Question
pressure after the car is...
Chevy equinox starts hard like the fuel is not holding pressure after the car is shut off. Once the car is running then it runs rough once in a while, but other then that it runs smooth wondering what the problem is?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/17/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

I would start with a fuel pressure gauge on the engine, measuring the actual fuel pressure, and seeing if the pressure drops off after you shut the engine off.

Spec for this is very high, fuel pressure can run as high as 100psi, and then hold significant pressure for a few minutes after shut off. You can borrow a gauge for this purpose at Autozone, Advance, and other parts stores. Be careful with this, as this high fuel pressure can hurt you. If you are unsure of your capabilities, you may want to leave this testing to a professional.

Well when they brought it to a dealer ship for the oil change they said that the fuel pressure regulator was going out, but this car dont have a fuel pressure regulator. What part do you think it could be?

The oil change guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

You are correct, there isn't a fuel pressure regulator on this car. It has two fuel pumps and a computer to control them. That doesn't mean that one of the pumps can't go bad, and you'd probably have a check engine light on if it did. Point of testing the fuel pressure is that it's quick, easy, and cheap to do, and once you determine that the fuel pressure is good while replicating the problem, you can move past the fuel system and see what else might be causing it. I wouldn't skip over this step, though, because fuel system issues are the primary cause of hard starting.

This needs good, solid, accurate diagnosis. That will save you money, as guessing and throwing parts at it gets expensive really quickly. It could be as simple as a faulty fuel pressure sensor, that's giving a bad reading and causing the fuel pressure command to be too low. That's just an example of what a good diagnosis will reveal, tests need to be performed correctly and the problem replicated during testing. If your tech does all of this, the root of the problem will be apparent.

Thanks for your help if I have anymore questons after I test the fuel pressure I will let you know.

It's my pleasure, I'm here to help.

:-)