Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2005 chevy Silverado 2500 has started making a sudden…

Customer Question
My 2005 chevy Silverado 2500...
My 2005 chevy Silverado 2500 has started making a sudden growling sound when coasting downhill but the sould stops when I step on the accelerator ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
this is a problem because I find myself alternately braking and gasing my vehicle to keep it from happening and it almost feels like it going into a freewheel situation
2/14/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it sounds like the differential pinion is making the noise. when the bearing wears, it get play and it shifts when slowing down and speeding up. I would have the pinion nut checked for proper torque. you may be needing to replace the pinion bearings

Roy

it makes an awful sound ?

a growling noise, yes

Roy

Is it going into a freewheel situation

ok, do youthink it is a transmission noise??? if you do, is it a*****??

Roy

It is a***** I don't know what the problem is, could it be the transmission, it has been serviced

if it is in the transmission you may have a planetary set failing. if it is the transfer case, it could be bearings. some one needs to find out exactly where the noise is coming from for me to give you some recommendations. have some one check out the noise to pin point where it is coming from

Roy

Roy

yea that's hard to do at 60 miles per hour, thanks

your welcome

Roy

ok. please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy