Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Impala LT. My boy said he had left the

Customer Question
Good afternoon, I have a...
Good afternoon, I have a 2006 Impala LT. My boy said he had left the ignition in the on position to listen to the radio. I am not sure how long it was on. When he tried to start the car, it wouldn't crank the starter. Thinking the battery was just low, we gave it a boost. Only to find the battery was fine. 12.3 volts. After checking some other options, I find the power locks, windows, trunk release, shift indicator & interior lights not functioning. I have checked fuses and start relay only to find no voltage to the purple exciter wire at the starter. I am looking for wiring diagram on the ignition switch. Also curious if any one has experienced this issue with 2006 Impala genre. Thank You
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/13/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

If the ignition was left on for some period of time, like you say, and it caused a low voltage concern, the BCM (body control module) will commonly go into a logic lockup as a result, even if you charge the battery, or as in this case, the battery has mostly recovered by itself.

One way to potentially fix this is to remove both battery leads from the battery, and hold them together for a few seconds. This drains volatile memory from all computers, and sort of reboots them, and will often bring a computer back from a logic lockup condition. I'd try this first.

The ignition circuit is not so simple. The BCM, ECM, and theft deterrent modules all play a part in this, so any "no crank" concern would likely require a good quality scan tool to determine what the fault is. However, with all of the malfunctions you're currently experiencing, it sounds to me like your BCM is not working, so follow the above procedure and see if that gets you going. If not, you'll need to start poking at the BCM circuits to see if they have power and ground, and perhaps replacing the BCM.... or potentially having this towed to a professional for diagnosis and repair, as this scenario is generally beyond the DIY level.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician