Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Truck lost power going down the road and stalled. Will crank…

Customer Question
Truck lost power going down...
Truck lost power going down the road and stalled. Will crank over but will not run. Fuel rail pressure at 58 psi, and over 70psi while cranking. Have rpm reading of 145 while cranking but will not start. replaced fuel pump already same condition, I have dropped the gas tank and can get to the FPCM. Need some advice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/13/2016
Chevy Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

are you getting a check engine light if so have you found out what codes it is giving

I had two previous check engine lights while the truck was still running and never resolved them but like I said it was still running.
Give me about 10 min I can pull them for you.
Please hold

not a problem

Ok 2 previously existing codes p0011, p0430
New codes p023f, p0452, p1682

the new codes are for a faulty fuel control module

that was the p023f p0452 is and emission code the p 1682 is low ignition switch voltage but morre then likely is caused by the fuel control module

How should I go about testing this module
I see it just above the frame and have access to it

With the key in the off position, disconnect the Fuel Pump Flow Control Module and connect a test light to the Dk Green/White wire at pin 13. Then you turn the key on, engine off.it should light up that will let you know if you are getting power to it if you need anything else let me know and please be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

can you stick around while I do some tests and go thru the results with me?/

yeah im going to be on for a little while longer

any luck

plugging in now, had to eat something was about to pass the f out

ok just let me know

we got 11 volts on the green/white wire on position and while cranking

its getting voltage atleast but according to code it is failing so i would say the unit is just bad

what is the gray wire coming out of the module in terminal d

honestly im not for sure i dont have a diagram for it im at home not at work

ok, I bypass the module and the pump is running continuously but the truck still crank and will not run. what is it about this module that will not allow the truck to start even tho the pump is running?

it regulates how much pressure to send to the injectors your fuel pressure should be around 44 psi

at the fuel rail shouldnt drop lower

the fuel rail pressure is at 58psi and peaks at about 70 while cranking but still not running

then your module and fuel pump is fine you need to test your injectors Using a Multimeter to Test Fuel InjectorResistance Ohms. Learn how to check fuel injectors to make sure they are working. You use a multimeter on the resistance settings and measure the ohms of the injector. All injectorsshould be within .5 ohms of each other