Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have chevy express 3500 van had ice all over it was running…

Customer Question
have chevy express 3500 van...
have chevy express 3500 van had ice all over it was running fine. I banged on the driver side front fender to remove ice. van stalled cranks fine won't turn over now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/12/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

what engine do you have?

it died when you Jared the fender?is that correct?

8.1 L yes exact same thing happened last year and local chevy dealer charged me $3000 and said replaced all computers

that doesnt sound right..

what is the year?

2001 they had it for 3 months
One of the salesmen at the dealership I knew told me it was only a fuse in the fuse block the whole time but they replaced all the computers before they checked that. I couldn't prove it

have you checked all fuses this time?

i dont see slapping the fender hurting anything

no I guess I meant the square fuse blocks under the hood
It happened on the 2nd hit of the fender shut off like a switch

the pcm[computer] is there also,,

hre is what i want you to try..

first,check all fuses,then disconnect the wire harness connector from the pcm[computer] and clean the terminals with electronics parts cleaner..the terminals may just be dirty..

The PCM was covered in ice could it short out? They just replace the PCM and the connector this time last year they finished in june drove 500 miles

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpykm5uyu8lgxz7/0212-cevy-van-Locations%20View.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/jpykm5uyu8lgxz7/0212-cevy-van-Locations%20View.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

reguadless a new pcm should not cost you that much

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Engine Control Module

ECM

12200411 $311.40

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

B - 0.7 - 1.1 hours

Van is on side of the road so I have to get it towed before I can try your info

yes,,i would think so,,not much you can do with these newer vehicles beside the road,