Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Trying to replace the ect sensor
, the check engine…

Customer Question
Trying to replace the...

Trying to replace the ect sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

The check engine light has been coming on, and I was told I need to replace the sensor, but I cant find it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes don't have money for a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?

Um I was told the sensor should be under this plastic kind of shield, but this picture here is saying its at the back of the engine

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/12/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what is the year, make, model and engine?? do you have the code???

Roy

I have a 2004 chevy cavalier 4 door

ok, thanks

engine size??? code???

Roy

I'm not sure exactly I think its a 2 liter and the code is p0125

ok, thanks

yes, the 125 code is for the coolant sensor. make sure you check the connector for damage. it is located by where the upper radiator hose comes ff the motor by the thermostat housing. it is towards the back of the motor drivers side.

Roy

do you have a better picture and it said I needed to replace the ect sensor

that is the ect sensor or engine coolant sensor. it is number 6

that is the only image I have. it is the only sensor there

Roy

don't have 18 to spare

did you look for the sensor???

Roy

yea but I cant clearly see what that looks like. I was told its on the other side of the radiator or something and that I had to pull off this plastic cover thing in order to see and get to it

no, it is where I told you it is. by the upper hose where it connects to the motor.

open this link and thats a picture of it

Roy

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-bwd-coolant-temperature-sensor-wt5132/18970810-P?searchTerm=coolant+sensors

ok I know what the part looks like but what does it look like where the hose is

it is near the hose. f you know what it looks like, match it up. follow the 2 wires to the sensor

Roy

ok I see a bunch of hoses, but I don't see anything that looks like the sensor
my engine is an eco 2.2
its behind the engine
Chevy Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome, my name is***** am a verified expert automobile technician. I, and all others like me are neither employees nor agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell our Expert knowledge to customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, please let me know what you need from me so you’re pleased with my efforts and reward me with a Positive Rating.

These coolant sensors are indeed hidden from plain view. Luckily, the same engine found in your Cavalier can be found in other cars, such as the Saturn L300. Click here to see a video showing coolant temp sensor replacement on an engine just like the one in your car.

Best Regards.