Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm having an annoying buzz from my oem head unit in a 2012…

Customer Question
I'm having an annoying...

I'm having an annoying buzz from my oem head unit in a 2012 tahoe lt. the dealership are inept and just replaced the radio with a new of the same. I provided them PIT bulletins from GM illustrating how just replacing the radio wont work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

They did not take the time to review and investigate this bulletin the buzzing is absurd and is present even when the car is completely off. its coming from the head unit

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
I must note that I took the tahoe to the Ford dealership where I purchased it for free repairs. I suspect, additionally, that they did something wrong regarding the line in and pre-amped line because my door/lights/seatbelt/gas chime is mindnumbingly loud. Something is incorrect here, in more ways than one. The part number for my installed head unit is: 20934593 gm radio (delphi)
the gm bulletin that is related is:#PIT5166C: High Pitch Sound From Radio Display - (Jan 4, 2013)Posted ImageSubject: High Pitch Sound From Radio DisplayModels: 2012 Buick Enclave2012 Chevrolet Malibu2012-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Traverse2012 GMC Acadia2012-2013 GMC Sierra, YukonEquipped with AM/FM/CD Radio (RPO US8 or UUI)
This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIT5166B.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/ConcernCustomers may comment about a high pitch buzz, whine, squeal, or hum noise from the radio display. This condition is most noticeable when the volume is very low or off.
Recommendation/InstructionsReplace the radio to correct this concern.
Please contact your local ESC to obtain a replacement radio that does not exhibit this concern.
Warranty Information
Please help, as GM service and my ford dealer are absolutely useless so far.
The sounds in the speaker are absurd as well, and the volume knob is at unbearable levels before reaching the 20% mark on the volume bar. The chimes are earshattering. It's enough to incite turning into traffic to just end it.
I think this is a matter of poor installation by the ford tech when they replaced the radio with the new one (20934592). I have found several forums where consumers were provided a fix when the tech was able to refer to PIT 5166C.I'd be interested in upgrading to aftermarket, but I'd need reassurance that it would solve whatever issue is going on. Some folks in the forums reported that aftermarket radio did not fix the issue. Odd..
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/4/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If they did not contact the ESC department at GM to order in a replacement radio that the issue has been repaired in already and just installed a radio most likely the replacement radio has the same issue.They need to contact the ESC (a GM dealer has to do this) to obtain a radio that has already been corrected internally for this noise issue here.Once this has been done it needs programmed correctly and while being programmed they need to set the volume and chime levels properly,this was not done properly and this is why you have volume and chime issues.This also have to be done by a GM dealer.

I would ask the selling dealer/facility to pay for this here since the repairs are covered for free and since they only installed a new or remanufactured replacement that hasnt had these issues resolved here.They do need to order the radio by contacting the ESC department to get the correct already repaired radio that does not have these issues here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Wow, thanks for all that information. I called around and the dealerships are treating me like an asshole. Blind quoting $1000+. This oem unit and all it's compatible oem alternatives can be found brand new for $130. I purchased the car at a ford dealership and I do not trust them to properly do the install, as they have already f**ked up once.Why is it all so obscured. Why not just post to the public the model of the proper replacement so that we can buy it ourselves and be charged for labor only..? I cannot spend $1000+ for this. Do you have access to contact with the ESC at GM?
MY current new plan is to take the vehicle to a high end audio shop (locally owned) and plead with them to help me find a sub $500 solution. Does that sound like a bad idea>?
I have to run some errands, I'll look for your reply when i return. Thanks SO much.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately some times GM doesnt release all of the info on an issue to the technicians or the dealers just tells them how to repair it.So the special order units here are specially repaired some how but we have no info on what they have done to correct this here.

The only two options I see here is to have a specially repaired unit installed order through a GM dealer with them contacting ESC for it or to have an after market audio install facility install an after market unit instead.Either option is o.k. and it may be cheaper for the after market install as long as it is done correctly.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician