Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

2006 chevy cobalt 2.0... P0171. Winter weather, front end

Customer Question

2006 chevy cobalt 2.0... P0171. Winter weather, front end took pretty hard hit in a ditch. Had to replace secondary (front) cooling radiator. Had lean code ever since...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

One common cause for this code to set can be caused by a dirty MAF (mass air flow ) sensor or even a failed MAF if it got wet when you hit the ditch. I would start first with making sure the intake hose from the MAF to the throttle body is porperly installed and not leaking and if that looks okay the try disconnecting the negative battery cable and take some MAF cleaner and give the MAF a good cleaning.After doing so reconnect the battery and see if the code retrurns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed spark plugs. Ran for over 50 miles. No codes but still chugs in lower rpm's...
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Did you try cleaning the MAF as I suggested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went to check maf & filter. Found out I have no filter or cabin... That might cause an issue...
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

So you saying the filter is missing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Filter & cabin (filter housing) gone...
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well I think you just found your problem, it need to be replaced and I would also clean the MAF as I suggested.