Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 chevy blazer 4.3l vortec v-6 will noit start. It tries…

Customer Question
2000 chevy blazer 4.3l vortec...
2000 chevy blazer 4.3l vortec v-6 will noit start . It tries to start but will not. I have replaced wires, plugs, and rotor, distributor cap. I had gotten it start 1 time and got a p0300 code but it stalled and now only tries to start but will never fully start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/3/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you tested to see if you have spark from one or more cylinders?

Has fuel pressure been tested at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

fuel pressure holding near 60 psi, getting spark

Are the spark plugs wet with fuel?

Is the anti theft/security light on steady or flashing on the dash after you try and start it and it starts and dies or does not start and you let go of the key without turning the key off any?

they are wet, it will not fully start but it tries and when you let off the key it is like it tried to run, security light is on steady for a second then goes out. just a note my father in law bought a knock off distributor from ebay and I wonder if it could be the sensor in it cause if I unplug it I get the exact same response ( I believe that's the camshaft pos. sensor?)

Have you checked for fault codes and is there a cam sensor code set or any other code set?

the one time I got it to start I only got a p0300 multi misfire, but now with the switch on it doesn't show me any codes

Did the plugs become wet immediately after they were replaced?

Have you tried to remove them and clean and dry them and unplug the coil and crank over the engine with the plugs out to blow out any fuel then install the dry plugs and plug in the coil and see if it starts then at all?

I tried that, and it did the same thing only it tried to start sooner but still wouldn't fully start
is there a way to test or ohm out the cam shaft pos. sensor?

O.k.,lets check this first and see what is occuring.

Unplug the main connector behind the throttle body that feeds the fuel injectors.I believe there are pink wires and these should have battery voltage (12 volts) with the key on.Then test any of the other wires other then the pink wires and see if any of them show a ground signal at all key on or off and let me know.

Thanks Pete

Ok so with key on pink wires show 11.9v and the others show 91v and key off they all show 45

Test between the pink wire and all other wires that are not pink with the meter set on dc volts and see if you read around 11.9 volts and let me know.

Thanks Pete

they are all showing 11.75v

O.k.,your other wires that are not pink are the ground pulse wires from the engine computer.These should not have a ground signal.IF they do like they are showing here this indicates either the engine computer is at fault needing replaced as it is shorted internally or the wiring from the engine computer is shorted at some point in the harness and needs traced to locate and repair the short to correct this here.The ground signal you are seeing here should only flash off and on when the engine is cranked over and when started and since it is solid ground this indicates the wiring at fault or the engine computer.

If it needs a computer it will need programmed by a dealer and usually an hours charge to have this done.The computer cost varies anywhere from $200 to $600 depending on where you purchase it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician