Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

02 avalanche, turns over but won't start.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/3/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

how and when did this problem begin?

Sunday afternoon.

what does it do when you try to start?

does it fire?

I drove it home Saturday night, no problems. Sunday late morning I tried to start it, it spun the engine but didn't fire at all. Like it's out of gas or has no spark. It has a half tank of gas. I used to work on old cars and understand engine basics so I figured I would replace the coil. Then I realized that it has 8 coils, so I doubt that all 8 died at once. I checked all fuses and switched the fuse like square from the starter slot and the ignition slot to test. It still spun with no fire.

ok

do you hear the fuel pump in the fuel tank come on when you first turn on the ignition?the pump should come on for 2 seconds

will it fire with a prime?starting fluid or a little fuel into the throttle body.

Oh, and the fuel pump was replaced a couple of months ago.

still it doesnt mean that the pump is working

do you hear it?

are you there?

Sorry for the delay. Yes I hear the pump when I turn on the ignition. It sounds like a small whirring sound for 2 seconds as you say. I haven't tried starting fluid, I will tomorrow. I feel like there is no spark. I will also try a timing light to see if there is spark.

ok

let me know if it will fire with a prime,,if it fires with a prime,,it has a spark

thanks

It fired with a prime.

ok..if it fired with a prime we know it has a fuel problem..

the next thing to do is you need to check the fuel pressure,though the pimp may be running it may not have enough fuel pressure,these must have no less than 55psi at all times..

if the fuel pressure is good,you need to test the fuel injector pulse,,if you have no injector pulse,i would think the problem is the crank sensor,the crank sensor is in the side of the engine block just above the starter motor

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.