Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

, just changed injectors on a 2002 Silverado duramax…

Customer Question
Just changed injectors on...

Just changed injectors on a 2002 Silverado duramax that was getting fuel In the crankcase. Engine started right up and runs nice at an idle. at about a 1000 rpms it seems to develop a miss. take it out on the road and it wont hardly pull itself and the white smoke pours oujt the exhaust

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
scan shows no codes
It ran just fine before we changed the injectors. Other than the fuel getting in the crankcase. Good news is, we seem to have the fuel In the crankcase issue solved.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/3/2016
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there. I am Cam. Is it losing coolant now?

no
we did drain the system down when we changed the injectors

OK, but my concern is that you're losing coolant now. On your engine, the injectors have a removable sleeves that is supposed to stay in the head. Sometimes it may be allowing coolant into the cylinder. If the white coolant, and one of those sleeves has pulled out and it leaking.

The other concern lies with the cleanliness of the injector line. The long injector not to go to the valve cover is bad for trapping dirt and on the backside. If those were not cleaned out thoroughly prior to installation, some dirt falling into the injector and causing the injectors stick open when it shouldn't be

none of the sleeves moved and the injection lines are new
doesn't have the white smoke idling. just when you get out on the road. under load. heavy blue smoke In shop
wont go over about 25 mph on road

Do you do you have a scanner that can read and control the fuel pressure?

Where did you source be injectors from?

as for losing coolant can really say for sure. haven't really run it enough to know. but I can 't hardly believe we are. I really watched for the sleeve movement because I k new it was known to happen. As for the scanner I don't have . but I have a friend that probably does. Injectors L&J Diesel Jacksonville,FL
Remanufactured with new nozzels
Dieselogic
when we get out on the road with it, it shakes like a dog having a seizure.

Ok, sorry for the delay, I would think that one of the injectors may have an issue. The scanner will be vital for this.

ok . how do I check it

With the scanner we need to first check balancing rates. +4 to -4 in park when hot and +6 to -6 in drive stopped.

Then do the return test.
Find the 2 fuel lines on the rear drivers side valve cover. Take the smaller one off and attach your hose to the metal pipe coming from the engine. Put the other end into the container and run the engine to fill that line. Then shut it off and remove the IGN 1 relay from beside the starter relay. empty out the container and keep the line full. Crank the engine for 15 seconds fully and measure the amount of fuel that comes out of that line. More than 24cc means the injectors are still returning too much fuel and causing this.

My scanner wont do the balance checks. I have to locate one that will.

Ok, sounds good.

messed with it a little last night. At an idle it really doesn't smoke. Run it up to about 2000 RPM and it smokes so bad it will run you out of the shop. I will get you some balance rates this afternoon.
Balance rates (1) Park 0.6 Drive -4.1 (2) P 1.3 D -6.6 (3) P -5.0 D -6.1 (4) P 1.1 D 1.8 (5) P 2.9 D 7.0 (6) P 1.4 D 0.4
(7) P -0.5 D -0.2 (8) P 0.6 D -.9 Really smokes when put it in Drive to check balance rates. Doesn't in Park.

Needs to have #2, #3, for sure replaced and #1 is close. Spec is +/- 4 in park when hot and +/-6 in drive. 2 is front drivers side. 1 and 3 are first 2 on passengers side.

- numbers mean the system is trying to take fuel away, like the cylinder is getting to much. After idle in drive, the balancing rates stop so those cylinder will be getting too much fuel and will smoke.

Was over messing with truck again. Did another balance rate check (1) P .0 D 0.5 (2) P .0 D -0.7 (3) P -1.1 D -2.5
(4) P -0.4 D -1.7 (5) P 1.3 D 5.3 (6) P -0.7 D -2.1 (7) P 0.2 D 0.5 (8) P 0.6 D 0.8
Why are they so much different than the first time when I check them? I'm getting totally confused.

Was it as warm as before?
When running, do they change a lot?

it was warmer the second time

Its still an issue that those changed. Go for a drive, get it hot and try one more time.

it runs so poorly I wouldn't want to take it down the road.
Was going to go over and do a return line test

that is my next suggestion.

15 sec. about 75cc

I hope you have warranty on those because that is about 3 times the allowable.

They are. Going to contact them tomorrow.

Sounds good.

Did a compression check between 350 & 360 PSI on all holes.Going to do another balance check tonight

Ok, sounds good. I am still thinking injectors are bad. Why they are different rates is odd.

Might be that the guy doing the diagnostics don't really know what he is doing. Going to have a friend bring his scanner over tonight and do balance rates and what not for me. We'll see what he comes up with and I will let you know. Thanks for everything so far..

My pleasure.

Did a fuel pressure check. Actual was right with the desired. Pulled injectors out of right bank and sent them back. Let let you know when I find out something. Thanks

Ok.

Ok, I'm back. #3 was borderline as for being in tolerance. So they had us send the Left bank back. #2 was dumping fuel and #4 was far enough out of speck that there tech I talked to rejected it. Now they tell me that they have put there best guy on it and that he don't make mistakes. Well, my feeling is that if the rest of them are known to make mistakes they had better go down the road. This is a hell of a screw up at my expense. So now i'm just waiting to here back from them as to when they are going to get sent back to me.