Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Rick I have a 2011 chevy Equinox. I got into my car this…

Customer Question
Hi Rick My name...

Hi Rick My name is***** have a 2011 chevy Equinox. I got into my car this morning and put the key in the ignition but it would not start. The window wipers came on very slowly and stopped and now, my key is stuck in the ignition. I can turn the key as if I'm going to start it but, I cannot turn the key back to remove it. There seems to be no power at all. My thought is that this has to do with the anti theft system. Your thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well.... I also tried to open the rear hatch but that seems to be locked and will not open. As I stated prior, the key is stuck in the ignition and I cannot remove it.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/1/2016
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

have you tried a jumpstart or charging the battery?

You've got to be kidding me! That is such a simplistic response.
I did think if that but I know that is not the issue sir.

it was a info request..All the symptoms point to do a dead battery o a loose battery connection.

I'm sorry but you've been of no assistance

the key switch will not turn to the lock position if there is no electrical power.. Check your battery connections first..

but your description points to a dead batter or a bad connection

I should report this site. It seems to be a scam!

I assure you its not a scam.... ill opt out maybe another expert can help you

We I apologise if it isn't but, I was expecting more techical response.
I will take a different route.

Can you tell me what you have tried? Sometimes you need you need to think simple. You need to start with the basics

And the symptoms you describe are not of security or theft system issue... Its power issue.. So with any power issue you start at the batterty

But the key is Stuck in the ignition which to me, would have nothing to do with the battery.

yes it would the lock cylinder has a electric release,,, No power causes this...Have you checked the battery?

So Rod did you try a battery or a jump start?

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you