Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Silverado Duramax that throws an ABS and TCM…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Silverado...
I have a 2005 Silverado Duramax that throws an ABS and TCM trouble code everytime it rains. Recently when this has occurred, the transmission has locked into a random gear. If I let the truck sit for an hour or so and reset the codes, I can head down the road like normal until it gets wet again and the codes come back and the whole thing starts over. Where do I start? The ABS and the transmission codes coming on together have me confused.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2016
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** for the question. The most common cause of this is water entering the module under the hood. Under the hood on the frame rail on the driver side of the radiator is one of the main vehicle modules. It tends to get wet and this occurs. Check the connection for moisture and corrosion. Then also check the ground connection located under the driver door as that can cause it to act like this. Please let me know if you need more help.

Does this mysterious vehicle module have a name? I will most likely have some time to crawl under and around my truck in the next few days. I would like to know exactly what I'm looking at.

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. It is the powertrain control module. The transmission control module is also right near it in the radiator shroud.