Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Can you call me

Customer Question
Can you call me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/31/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic

Hi Travis,

First, can you briefly tell me what your question is please?

Truck won't start
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I can call you in a few minutes but let me first ask if you have tried to jump start it and if so, do you have a volt meter to use for some simple testing?

it Being jumped now and no I don't have a volt meter. I recently bout a new batt

Thanks,

When you turn the key just to the on position, does the security light come on for a few seconds then go off?

No, it stays on

Thanks!

We might be able to reset the security system and not even need a phone call. Try this first and if it still doesnt start i will call you.

1. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

2. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

3. Turn the key to OFF for 10 seconds.

4. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine. If it starts and run, the system has reset. If it doesn’t start or run and release the key to the ON position and complete the rest of the steps.

5. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

6. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

7. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

8. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

9. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

10. Try to Start the engine

Tried that and the light just stays on
For some reason it won't let me pay for a phone call

Lets try one more thing.

Remove both battery cables and hold them together for 1 minute then reconnect them and see if it will start. This will reset the vehicle computer and works sometimes.

Tried that also

Does the key have a security chip in it?

I think so, how do I tell

It should be black and have a small bump on it.

It most likely does. Do you have an extra key to try?

If not, using the key, first lock, then unlock the driver side door and see if it starts.

I only have one key and it doesn't have a black bump o it
I had the battery in hooked for about 3 hours today installing a light but when I tried to start up the truck when I was done nothing happened. But my light works

Did you mean the battery was UNHOOKED for 3 hours

See if it will let you accept the phone call offer this time please.

It won't. I paid the same way to talk to you.
the battery was unhooked

Hmm,,not sure why thats happening. I dont have access to admin controls. I will email them and see what they say but in the meantime......

Just so i have it straight.....it was starting just fine until you disconnected the battery when replacing whatever light it was....which by the way, what all did you do and what light were you working on?

I installed a light bar and the only thing I unhooked was the battery. I haven't started the truck all day though

Thanks,

I think we can rule out it being a key issue.

It sounds like the TDM (theft deterrent module) is preventing it from starting and without a factory level scan tool, we have pretty much tried all the shortcuts that are available. Hate to say it but it's going to have to be scanned in order to hunt down the fault.

The only thing i can suggest is to try to disconnect both cables again and hold them together for a couple of minutes, and if that doesnt work try the "relearn" procedure i sent again....

Also try locking and then unlocking, the driver side door, and passenger side (if it has a key cylinder).

If you have a key FOB you can try using it to lock and then unlock the doors.

If it still doesnt start it will need to be scanned.

Man i really hope it works for you because we sure tried all that we can.

Best wishes my friend!

Larry

Thank you I'll try it

My pleasure.

I really do mean it when i say i hope it works because i can sure feel your frustration when crap like this happens :-)

My goal is that you are 100% happy with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.