Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just bought a 2006 Impala SS (22,000 miles) recently

Customer Question
for a non-daily driver around...
I just bought a 2006 Impala SS (22,000 miles) recently for a non-daily driver around here in the Texas hill country...5.3 L motor...and have discovered a break in the insulation of the ground wire coming off the negative battery cable, so I bought a new OEM cable (part # *****). It looks like I will have to remove the covering that contains both the + and - cables and runs from the battery area behind the radiator to the driver's side of the car where the + cable is connected to the starter solenoid...but where does the - cable connect to a ground under that part of the car?
Does it ground to the frame or the body?
I have not taken the wiring insulation off of the two cables running from the battery so I could probably take notice of where the - cable will be grounded under the motor there someplace...but since I cannot see it now, I was just wondering where it connected to a ground source.
Also...I have been reading a LOT of comments on the internet and in car forums from owners of these cars about constant electrical problems with excessive corrosion build up on the battery cables and in a rapid time ... in fact, I have had the car not start already a couple of times because of that condition...I did replace the battery in the car e when i got it with a new Delco sealed battery rec for that car...and have made sure to clean the cable terminals frequently...but what a pain.
Is there anything else I might do to extend the time between corrosion cleaning of the battery cables...I do not think I have ever had a vehicle that required such constant maintenance of that part of the car.
Perhaps replacing the negative cable that is cracked and has some of the copper wire strands broken at the negative ground wire to the fender by the battery will help with that...and I might also need to carefully look at where the negative battery cable is grounded to the body or frame under the motor to see if it is badly corroded as well...if I can find that point of course.
Thanks for listening...hope you have some advice for me
Dr. John Denton Bowman III
Wimberley, Texas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/31/2016
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

BATTERY POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE CABLE REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: When replacing battery cables be sure to use replacement cables that are the same type, gage, and length.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable (3).
  2. Open the positive battery cable terminal lead cover (1).
  3. Loosen the positive battery cable terminal lead nut
  4. Remove the positive battery cable terminal from the battery
  5. Disconnect the instrument panel (I/P) harness electrical connector (2) from the battery current sensor

1. Disconnect the battery cable connector from the I/P harness electrical connector.

1. Remove the bussed electrical center (BEC) cover.
  2. Remove the positive battery cable junction block lead nut (1).
  3. Remove the positive battery cable terminal (2) from the BEC.

1. Remove the ground wire bolt (1) and reposition the wire (5) from the top rail.
  2. Remove the battery cable harness retaining clips (2, 3, and 4) from the front rail and fan shroud.
  3. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Remove the battery cable harness retainers from the engine cradle.

1. Remove the transaxle stud nut (8).
  2. Remove the battery cable ground (7) from the transaxle stud.
  3. Reposition the positive battery cable boot (4) at the starter solenoid.
  4. Remove the starter solenoid BAT terminal nut (3) from the starter.
  5. Remove the positive battery cable(2) from the starter motor
  6. Remove the positive battery cable clip (5) from the transmission stud.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Remove the positive and negative battery cable from the vehicle.

1. If replacing the positive and negative battery cable, perform the following:
  1. Cut the tie straps and electrical tape attaching the battery current sensor to the battery cable
  2. Squeeze the battery cable branches together.
  3. Slide the battery current sensor (1) off of the battery cable

IMPORTANT: Note the position of the battery current sensor prior to removal.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. If the positive and negative battery cable was replaced, perform the following:
  1. Slide the battery current sensor (1) onto the battery cable
  2. Using NEW tie straps and electrical tape, attach the battery current sensor to the battery cable

IMPORTANT: Ensure that the tape tab is pointing away from the negative cable terminal.

1. Install the positive and negative battery cable to the vehicle.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Install the positive battery cable (2) to the starter motor.
  4. Install the starter solenoid BAT terminal nut (3) to the starter.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice.

Tighten the nut to 10 N.m (89 lb in) .

1. Position the positive battery cable boot (4) at the starter solenoid.
  2. Install the positive battery cable clip (5) to the transmission stud.
  3. Install the battery cable ground (7) to the transaxle stud.
  4. Install the transaxle stud nut (8).

Tighten the nut to 30 N.m (22 lb ft) .

1. Install the battery cable harness retainers from the engine cradle.
  2. Lower the vehicle.

1. Position the ground wire (5) and install the ground wire bolt (1) to the top rail.

Tighten the nut to 10 N.m (89 lb in) .

1. Install the battery cable harness retaining clips (2, 3, and 4) to the front rail and fan shroud.

1. Install the positive battery cable terminal (2) to the BEC.
  2. Install the positive battery cable junction block lead nut (1).

Tighten the nut to 10 N.m (89 lb in) .

1. Install the BEC cover.

1. Connect the battery cable connector to the I/P harness electrical connector.

1. Connect the I/P harness electrical connector (2) to the battery current sensor.
  2. Install the positive battery cable terminal to the battery.
  3. Tighten the positive battery cable terminal lead nut.

Tighten the nut to 15 N.m (11 lb ft) .

1. Snap closed the positive battery cable terminal lead cover (1).
  2. Connect the negative battery cable (3).
8f4b4e93-ec6a-42b9-af54-...gif8f4b4e9...gifcbcbfdf1-d24b-4414-a249-...gifcbcbfdf...gif72d4972b-ee14-4607-b827-...gif72d4972...gif9d124d4b-1a4c-46d0-b5b2-...gif9d124d4...gife01a3439-0418-4f2b-87fd-...gife01a343...gif6d8fb6f9-246b-4509-ae47-...gif6d8fb6f...giffd8ef784-3de8-4178-ab04-...giffd8ef78...gifadab5235-f44b-4430-a1b4-...gifadab523...gif