Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1998 Chevy Silverado jumps uit off 2wheel drive on tting…

Customer Question
My 1998 Chevy Silverado jumps...
My 1998 Chevy Silverado jumps uit off 2wheel drive on hitting bump or when I decelerate I have to stop select neutral move the stick shift to 4 low or 4 high and then hope to select*****again how do I adjust the selector linkage
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/30/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

if you get up under the truck is the shift rod from the 4WD shifter loose at all or is there excessive play in the shifter itself ?

what size truck is this ?

Hi! Gary it is Flatbed 1tonner 7.4l gas motor no play on the linkages

ok and this just has one rod from the floor shifter to the case correct ? and one end is threaded for adjustment ?

Sir correction the linkage side

ok what you need to do is pop off the rod and manually by hand shift the case solid into 2WD then put the shifter into 2WD and adjust the rod to match those rod holes and it should be perfectly into 2WD and when shifted into 4HI should fully lock into 4HI

once that is adjusted it should be fine

if by chance after that is done it still jumps out there is an internal transfer case issue causing this problem and would need to be removed and rebuilt and or repaired

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Hi! Gary have tried to no avail can't get it to select*****stays in either 4l or 4h

you can not get the case by hand to lock into 2WD with the rod popped off ?

Gary yes I do select it locks into a gear which is suppose to be*****but when you drive it is 4h when you go back one selection it is still in 4 wheel I have tried to select neutral and try to work from that but no luck as yet!

if you pop the rod off and its shifted into 2WD leaving the rod off the case will still jump out of 2WD ?

Cannot get it to select 2w drive or neutral there is 4 definite selection manually that I can select by hand it should be 4h neutral 2w drive and 4h but cannot select 2w tried driving it in all selection without rid connected but it is either 4l or 4 h

if the rod is off and it will NOT be in 2WD in any gates you select by hand there is something internally wrong in that transfer case

I do select gears but cannot flnd the 2w selection

one of them should be 2WD

up in the air shift the case and two detents should allow the front drive shaft to free wheel

Do I have to lift the front wheels

no

in 2WD it should unlock the front axle with the actuator in the front diff

or is this a full time front axle i n the truck ?

Do not know if it is a full time front axle

jack up the front and 2 positions on the case the front axle from the case to the front axle should spin by hand

Gary will do that in the morning then come back to you have been in and out under that car from the first time I received a reply from you age is catching up

ok sounds good let me know

Wil do thank you Sir!

anytime