Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I drove about 750 miles in my Chevy Impala 2010. When I

Customer Question
I drove about 750 miles...
I drove about 750 miles in my Chevy Impala 2010. When I drove into my garage - at last at home - and turned off the motor, there was a gurgling sound that came from the right side of my engine - it kept gurgling for quite a few seconds or a minute and the hood of the car around the battery area was very hot. Eventually I opened the hood and looked at the coolants - the big white container of coolant was less than half full. I don't know if I should drive the car to someone to have it checked - if that will be dangerous to my engine...or if I should have it towed somewhere.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/30/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Jones

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

What is your VIN# ***** check for Service Bulletins?

Did you notice if your temperature gauge was running hot?

How many miles on the car?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

I don't know the Vin# ***** this moment. No, the temperature gauge was not running hot. 98,000 miles on the car.
Do you need the Vin# ***** I can go looking for it but at the moment, am not sure. I really want to know if I can fill the container with coolant and drive the car or risk damaging the engine.
Are you going to get back to me this morning, Dan? I need the use of the car but need your advice, too.
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Car was probably overheating, but not showing on gauge if there was a air pocket in the system it could make gauge read inaccurately. When the car is cooled off, remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level. Top it off and the coolant reservoir.

Could be a few reasons it was overheating, thermostat, coolant fan not coming at when proper temp is reached, coolant leaking or sensor issue.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Thank you but one question - I should "top off" the radiator with water and the coolant reservoir with coolant, right?
The water in the radiator is up to the top and is brownish color.
I added a gallon of coolant and the light doesn't come on any longer so I'm going to drive to O'Reily's and have them take a look. Thank you.
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Mix the coolant with water 50/50 mix.

What light was on?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You

***** *****