Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I have a 1999 Chevy Venture that…

Customer Question
Hi-my name is *****...

Hi-my name is ***** *****. I have a 1999 Chevy Venture that stumbles and has loss of power shortly after you start accelerating. Started in early December. Does ok at highway speed unless you have to step on it to pass someone, then it stumbles also. I took it to a mechanic a couple weeks ago and he couldn't find anything wrong. He thought maybe the MAF sensor but didn't want to make me spend $300 on it. So I bought one from NAPA and tried it and it didn't help so I returned it. The spark plugs and wires are 6 months old, the EGR valve was replaced last summer, aolng with both O2 sensors and the fuel filter. The mechanic said the fuel system seems fine, but I wonder if it's the fuel pressure regulator. Any ideas on what to try?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

That's pretty much everything I can think of. I put a few bottles of fuel injector cleaner through it on a big trip we took it on for Christmas. Didn't make any difference.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2016
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light comes on when this occurs? Does it change at all depending on if the engine is hot or cold?

Sorry I forgot to mention that-no check engine light. It does it both when the engine is cold and when warmed up. If you are doing a normal acceleration like from a stop light or sign, it initially starts normally, then before it does it's first gear shift it just bogs down and has a loss of power until you get to a steady speed. Also if you are cruising at a given speed and need to put a little more accelerator pedal down to go up a hill or get around someone, it bogs down. Pretty severe loss of power. If you floor it it will eventually kick down to a lower gear and get some power back when the revs go up.

It sounds like the fuel pressure may dropping off as you drive. It may also be a failing catalytic converter. Both of these are common and will cause this without turning on a check engine light.

Thanks-so what do you think the next step should be? Fuel pressure regulator?

I would drive it with a fuel pressure gauge installed to see if the pressure bleeds off. Or replace the regulator first.