Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

, A driveline vibration in a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe, 4x4

Customer Question
JA: Thanks. Can you give...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: A driveline vibration in a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe, 4x4 it seems throttle position AND speed dependant
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Vibration starts at 40-ish mph, continues to 55-ish, and then comes back at 68-ish and then just gets worse the faster i go.
it does not matter what gear its in, the problem persists,
the tires and wheels are new, and the problem was there before wheels and tires were replaced,
the entire rear axle has been replaced, the problem was there before and after,
the vehicle is stock height
tires are stock size
gear ratio was 3.73 and the problem existed badly, then switched the whole axle to one with 4.10 and the problem went away for a while, then came back, then i had 4.88 gears installed, the problem persisted.
i had a new rear driveline built, and the problem went away, but has come back with a vengeance.
shocks are all Bilstein and in good shape,
exhaust is stock,
transmission mount has been recently replaced
transfer-case is not very old, and the tail bushing seems tight
i (we) cannot find anything loose under the vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i at one point added a 3/16" shim under the trans mount, raising the transfer case to create more angle, and the vibration was worse.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago
Reggie Whiddon

Have you put the vehicle on a hoist or stands and removed tires reinstall lugnuts and ran up to speed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I have not
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what would i be looking for?
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

By doing that you eliminate the tires and rims from the equation if your vibration is gone it's in tires

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

If it's still there and unchanged we will then look elsewhere, what are your alignment specs I have seen grossly incorrect caster settings cause this

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

And you would be surprised 9 out of 10 alignment techs have no idea other than set the toe

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Front wheel caster causing a vibration?
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes sir sounds crazy dont it? A man who was much higher up the chain than me pointed it out to me, now this vehicle did have slightly oversized tires. Have you had the alignment checked so thrust angle and setback and sai can be checked

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vehicle has been aligned to factory spec 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Okay well what do you think about running it without tires will you try that? with a problem like this i have found it best not to take nothing for granted. That is my first step

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll do exactly that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a suspicion it is a pinion angle problem, as it keeps coming back after every attempt.
I think it is trashing U-joints because of pinion angle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think adjustable upper control arms are the eventual answer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spohn makes them
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Okay u want the drive shaft to have between 1 and half to 4 degrees

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Do you know how to check

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

The problem I have with thst is when thst is the problem it is constant

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Tell me about this vehicle have therr been any suspension modifications or powertrain changes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Read above.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Okay I see stock height and stock tire size, only modification was your rear end. Did you modify the programming to that gear, does your speedometer work properly? One question you mention you had a new driveshaft built was that shaft balanced? You say the problem is back but worse possibly one of the weights has come off. Have you run it without the tires yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not yet. It snowed another foot.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Another foot! A foot of snow would shut alabama down, well I understand just checking with you. I'm anxious to see whst your problem is

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician