Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have a 98 chevy Silverado that the blower fan will not…

Customer Question
We have a 98...

We have a 98 chevy Silverado that the blower fan will not turn on. We replaced resistor and no luck. All we hear is clicking and I can feel the clicking in the blower resistor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was going to start with testing all connection as per your answer from another customer you have then test.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/29/2016
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there, I am Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
I am not sure if you have used our service before or not. The experts here are third party contractors. Myself, I am a GM technician in a Gm dealership. I will be happy to help you. Please understand that my only compensation for the time spent helping you is by your rating of my service in a positive way. The more information you provide, the better the chances of getting your issue resolved. Also please reply if you have any followup questions.
So about your vehicle,

Do you have a meter or test light you can use to do some testing? I am thinking you have a ground issue at the motor. If not that then the switch assembly is know for issues with overheating in the back of the connector.

I have a meter and I checked the blower motor, I have 12 volts at purple wire. Checked the resistor have power at blue and black and yellow. So I'm guessing it maybe the switches itself on dash? I heading to bed now, will check in after work tomorrow. Is there tests you can do for the dash switches? Thanks talk later
my name is*****

Stephanie, I think you will find the ground to the blower motor is bad. Check that and see, repair it if you do find it bad. If you were not getting power, then I would suspect the switch.

how do I test to see if ground in bad to blower motor? I get 12 volts when using my meter when testing the purple wire at motor to a ground on truck.

Purple is power to the motor. There is either a black wire attached in the same plug as the purple that goes into the motor or a separate wire attached to the body of the motor that is the ground.

I figured it out. motor was bad. I had voltage going through wires, open winding in motor. replaced motor and works.
Thanks
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician