GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I replaced the multifunction switch. I tested everything except the cruise and it seemed to work fine. I went out later to finish putting the truck back together and I noticed that the right side of the instrument panel doesn't work and the truck won't start. It just clicks. I moved the wires under the steering column and got it to start. Now I can't get anything to work again. Where should I start?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I assume there is a short somewhere. Is there a wire harness that supports the airbag, parking brake message console?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
I am not sure if you have used our service before or not. The experts here are third party contractors. Myself, I am a GM technician in a Gm dealership. I will be happy to help you. Please understand that my only compensation for the time spent helping you is by your rating of my service in a positive way. The more information you provide, the better the chances of getting your issue resolved. Also please reply if you have any followup questions.
So about your vehicle,

Is there a remote starter installed or anything aftermarket installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Sandy. There is nothing after market installed.

ok, I suspect you need to look at the connector for the ignition switch at the base of the column. I suspect that a pin in there is bent from putting it back together, there is a poor connection or you just have a bad connection in your ignition switch.