Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 98 chevy 3500 will not shift on own will with snap on…

Customer Question
My 98 chevy 3500...

My 98 chevy 3500 will not shift on own will with snap on computer telling it to

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Just stays in first gear

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/27/2016
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

Is this a 4l80? any codes? How many miles on the unit?

2-3 selnoid and I replaced it same code after replacing
4L 80

can you tell me the code number please

P0758

have you followed the trouble tree / flow chart?

so the harness tested good as well as the vcm?

Any other ideas?

with that code its generally vcm or harness

• Inspect the wiring at the VCM, the transmission connector and all other circuit connecting points for the following conditions:
  • A bent terminal
  • A backed out terminal
  • A damaged terminal
  • Poor terminal tension
  • A chafed wire
  • A broken wire inside the insulation
  • Moisture intrusion
  • Corrosion
Ya have done that
Werd

Check default shifts by removing fuse for tranny. Shifts will be hard but it will shift all 4 gears if no mechanical problem

Ok but that not GM approved

Chech line pressures ...bushings, wave washers and pumps are likly and expensive and last resort

This has been a nightmare

not gm approved..but its a cheat to see if its mechanical or electrical...gm does not fix cars and neither does the repair manual...sometimes you need to think out side of the box..

Lol thanks I'll check that

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Where you out of?

central ny

half way between Albany and Syracuse...

Cool well I'll keep checking if you are interested in in Iowa and not a redneck lol but sometimes I get stumped

Im not a full blown redneck...but can wing it...