Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My car has a lock symbol

Customer Question
My car has a lock symbol
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/26/2016
Chevy Mechanic: C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic

This indicates there is an issue with the car antitheft system. This is what I would try doing. Make sure you are using the main key you have for the vehicle and if you have an extra you can try that one. Sometimes the key will get worn out. Next disconnect both of the batter cables and wait five minutes. Before reconnecting the cables touch them together. Make sure the battery is FULLY charged and in good working order. Reconnect the battery cables. If it starts you do not need to do anything else. If it still is not starting we need to now do a 30 minute relearn. This will be done as follows. Turn the key all the way over than let go of it and leave it in the on position for 11 minutes turn the key off and remove from car for 30 seconds. Repeat 2 more times for a total of 33 minutes. On the last attempt after you are done the vehicle should start. If not we have to now do some testing and need a multimeter.