Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have a 1999 Chevy V8 Express Van (5.7 liter) The van died…

Customer Question
We have a 1999 Chevy...
We have a 1999 Chevy V8 Express Van (5.7 liter)
The van died on the side of the interstate.
It was towed to our local dealer where the van was purchased.
They replaced the blown fuse and the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
While driving home approximately 10 miles from the dealer, the fuse blew again and it was towed back to the dealer.
At this time, they replaced the fuse along with the Coil & ignition module.
It was then driven home, driven again for approximately 80 miles the next day and another 120 miles three days after receiving from the dealer. The van was idling at home five days after picking up from dealer and it died when putting it in gear.
It was sent back to the shop and the dealer observed the van for 4 days (test driving and letting it idle, etc.) with no success of getting the fuse to blow again so they could identify the problem. We picked the van up to attempt to repair at home due to the time and our funds quickly being depleted.
I tried to replace the VCM that was purchased from Napa who “flashed” it and our first attempt did not work, I contacted the Service Tech with AC Delco who referred me back to Napa to return and replace the first VCM. Neither of the two new ones worked allowing the van to start. The van did start again after I replaced it with our old VCM.
It is blowing the fuse ECM-1-Fuse H7-J8. From my research, it appears that fuse controls the following:
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Ignition Module
Ignition Coil
VCM
Camshaft Position Sensor
Fuel Injector
Would you please provide guidance on what might be the problem along with the most time and price efficient steps to take next? Thank you in advance for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/26/2016
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 2 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. This is very common. My experience has been a shorted out wiring harness going to the crankshaft position sensor. Inspect the wire harness by the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve and exhaust manifold as well as to the crankshaft sensor. In addition, check the draw going to the the fuel pump and inspect the wire harness to the fuel pump. I bet you will find the problem in one of those areas.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

.

Amedee,Thanks for your prompt response Monday. Our apologies for our delayed rating and response.It sounds like very good advice but we would just like to check it out first. My husband is working overtime this week to help pay for the repair coats we have accrued at this point so he is unable to look at the van at all. We ask that you follow up with us early next week so he has an opportunity to utilize your suggestions please.Thanks for your help and I am extremely anxious for the van to be repaired as we are pretty much homebound when the van is down because it is the only vehicle we can transport all three kids with our oldest in a wheelchair and other two in car seats.Sincerely,
Denise

Hello Denise! Thank you for the reply and for providing me with an update. That is just fine. Take your time and look over the vehicle at your convience. There is no hurry to wrap this session up. I will be here to help you when/if you have any further questions. I just ask that you dont forget about me. Keep in mind, I do work a lot and I do work late at night sometimes so please allow time in between replies.

After careful inspection of the potential problems you suggested, it appears those areas are fine. However, on one of the plugs coming from the alternator, there are two wires and one is broken. Could this be causing the problem we are experiencing with the van blowing the EM-1-Fuse-H7-J8?If not, any other suggestions that you may suggest to continue problem solving with the van repairs?Thanks in advance,
Denise

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN