Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The exterior door handle on my 2004 Chevy Silverado sticks…

Customer Question
The exterior door handle on...
The exterior door handle on my 2004 Chevy Silverado sticks in the open position. When it does the person inside cannot open the door. How can I lube it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/25/2016
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there. I am Cam. Can I Get your first name pleasE?

This is usually a problem with the pivot on the front portion of the door handle, not the rear. Do you notice when you try to operate it, the back seems to move and the front not as much? Also when to does operate, does it make noise?

Your right Cam , this is Mike. I simple open the front door and the handle stays in the open position. I feel if I could get some WDE=40 into, it my loosen up and I wouldn't have to disassemble the door.

I agree Mike. don't be afraid to put a LITTLE heat to help loosen it up. If you cannot then the handle will need to be replaced.

On the door jamb there is a rubber plug. If I pry that plug free, will it give me lube access to the handle parts?
Got to go to work, thanks

The rubber plug gets you access to the back side of the nut holding it in. The area to lubricate is from the outside at the front. You will need to wash it after.