GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I am trying to help a friend of mine get s pick-up

Customer Question

Customer: I am trying to help a friend of mine get his pick-up operational. It quit on him the other day, and being a ford owner all of my life, I am not familiar with these vehicles. It is a 1994 GMC Sierra 4 x 4 extra cab with a 5.7L motor. Before we towed the vehicle to my house, there was another gentleman that was adamant about replacing the cap and rotor. Before I could get a picture of the distributor cap, wires etc., he unplugged all of the wires and took the cap and rotor out. He moved the distributor while unplugging the wires. So, now I am starting over. I am trying to align the crankshaft to zero degrees TDC on compression stroke, which puts the rotor facing towards the number one cylinder, and then I attach the plug wires in accordance to the firing order, and that should be it. However, with the distributor being moved, I am not sure how to align everything to get it to where we can even start it. We have spark to the plugs. I have also read about at wire that needs disconnected behind glove box. I don't know if that made any sense, but it doesn] t to me either. Thanks for the help, and sorry about the confusion. Just trying to help a friend out.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The pick-up died while towing snow mobiles, and would not start. At that time, he had spark at the coil, but nothing to the spark plugs. We now have spark to the spark plugs. It tries to fire every now and then, and I retard and advance the distributor in hopes to get it running so we can time it accordingly after. But, I am not sure how to ensure I am at the correct setting that aligns the TDC, the rotor, and I believe the number 1 plug wire on the distributor cap. I also need to know if the wire that is referenced under the glove box needs to be unhooked before it will start and can be timed?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Do you still need help with this? A phone call might be considerably easier but if you would prefer, I can help you right here instead. Let me know.