Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1998 chevy blazer 4.3 The low fuel light is on gas gauge is…

Customer Question
1998 chevy blazer 4.3...

1998 chevy blazer 4.3 The low fuel light is on gas gauge is on empty, battery light is on and temp gauge stays on cold and the ABS, security lights stay on

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Will

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/24/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED replied 2 years ago
Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED

More than likely you have a bad instrument cluster but to be sure you need a scan tool to check for codes and also to do a gauge sweep test and indicator light test. But I believe replacing the cluster will only fix some of your problems but to be sure you'll need all the codes read with a scan tool. Thanks

My genisys scan tool will not connect and all the fuses are good especially the cigarette lighter.

Cool and thanks for the reply. If you have a genisys scanner please a accept a live call so I can help walk you thru this because maybe some thing is wrong with truck communication system.

I'm broke so is my truck
Is there a wire I can check at the dash plug?

No problem. At the DLC key off you should have less than 5 ohms between 4 and ground and 5 and ground, you should have power between 16 and 4 and 16 and 5. Between terminal 1 you should have a toggling voltage between terminal 4 and 2 between 0 and 7 volts DC.

4 and ground 9.5ohms 5 and ground 2.0 16 and 4 bat voltage 12.5 16 and 5 bat voltage 12.5 ter 1 not used between 4 and 2 is 1.5 volts
This is the readings at the DLC, back to my original question does this have a bearing on why the dash does not work.
Are you still working on my question

It's possible that the reason the cluster isn't working because the readings at the DLC so I'd focus on getting the scanner to communicate first then diagnose the cluster. Even though I'm able I'm going to open your question back up so some other guys can help you get it fixed. Thanks

Thank you
Chevy Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, do you still need some help with this?

right now I am doing using a flow chart to figure out why, my scan tool will power up, but not communicate with the ecm. I have an older genisys scan tool. Any help would be appreciated.

Is it the 2 or 4wd and what's the 8th VIN character? ALso have you verified the scanner works on another vehicle?

2wd w yes

Thanks, ***** ***** double check your readings against this trouble tree to begin

I checked the scan tool it is working. I checked resistance from DLC16 to 5 with no resistance I need to find the open in sensor ground circuit 451 don't I? It should read 0-5 ohms and doesn't.

16 should be 12v 5 should have continuity to ground. Is there 00-5 ohms between 5 and a good ground? I'll post diagram below.

I used my scan tool on another truck and it works fine. Does the dash not working properly have anything to do with my scan tool not being able to communicate with the blazer.

Yes, the dash and dlc share a ground if I remember correctly.

It was warm today and I checked power at the dlc plug and grounds they checked good. Tomorrow I was going to try to check the class 2 s data wires what should they read continuity or voltage.
Look at this step from my flowchart DLC 16 to 5 should read 0-5 ohms and I get OL. Then it tells me to fix an open in CKT451 but when I checked it from the DLC plug to the BBEC to the UBEC to ground showed no open.
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been wired into your vehicle at all before this issue occurred here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

no

Is the scan tool your using one that is compatible with this model here?Can you post the model of the scan tool and model number for me?

Is the transmission shifting incorrectly as well here with this issue?

Genisys SPX OTC / Transmission is ok. I am working at my truck today.
system 2.0

Is the transmission shifting properly or does it feel like it is hanging up in one or more gears when driving?

I already answered the transmission shifts fine engine and runs great.

O.k.,after looking through more of my info on this here I dont show the full diagrams for the DLC.I will have to see if anyone else here can help further and I apologize for this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

O.k.,unfortunately I dont show all of the diagrams for the DLC on this model here and I apologize for this.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician