Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 chevy full size van57 litre. The van has torn up about…

Customer Question
2000 chevy full size...

2000 chevy full size van57 litre. The van has torn up about 12 starters. It is very hard starting. To me, the timing is too far advanced when starting, so it bucks the starter backwards time and time again till the clutch blows. No codes Runs perfect when started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Bucks back when starting

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/23/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

I am sorry for the long wait

this is a very common issue with these trucks with the timing being fired at the wrong time causing kick back destroying starters

this issue comes down to a bad crank crank sensor or the lower distributor gear worn out or worn down

the best action to that is to remove the distributor and be sure the bottom distributor gear is NIT worn down at all if it is replace it

if it still acts up or you replace the gear and it still does this replace the crank sensor on the bottom of the timing cover with a GM sensor

Will try a new sensor. this van only has 70k miles on it. Your pretty sure of this?

i have seen hundreds do this there is even a bulletin on this issue

the top 3 things

1 worn gear

2 crank sensor

3 the crank sensor when replaced and still kicks back you use a crank sensor shim to shim it out @ .001 and that worse case will correct this issue

New sensor didnt help . Cam gear doesnt appear to be worn excessivly

and if you pull off the coil wire right out of the ignition coil it will stop kicking back ?

yes

ok try to shim out the crank sensor with a crank sensor shim or .001 outward will it stop kicking back ?

.001 pretty thin.

yes it doesnt take much to shim it out a tiny bit

No help with the shim same thing.

lets see if any other experts have any ideas

Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

Gary has covered all the basics. the one thing that sticks in my mind is the distributor cap itself. if there is carbon tracking, it will kick back. remove the cap again and closely examine the cap.

Roy

Have checked the cap several times. Tried after dark to check plug wires. runs perfect when it starts.

do you have a scan tool to monitor the timing??

Roy

Yes I think it idles around 29 degrees.

thats not bad at all.

what is the cam retard set at???

Roy

Cant look at that. But if its off wont i get a cel?

it has to be off quite a bit to code. the only other thing you have not checked is the timing chain itself

Roy

This truck only has 68k miles on it.

all the other items have been checked and it is next on the list. this issue has always revolved around timing. the distributor cap was a major failure for this.

Roy

If I disconect the distributor, it doesnt make any difference in how it starts.

but you stated if you pull the coil wire, it cranks normally???

Roy

yes. It runs with out the distributor connection plugged in.

the distributor is actually the cam sensor. it is not a distributor like the old days. with it dis connected, does it still crank hard???

Roy

yes. It runs with out the distributor connection plugged in. time is up for today.

does it still crank hard??

yes

timing is definitely the issue

have you tried replacing the distributor cap??

Roy

No the cap looks good. The van runs perfect when running.

ok, I am out of ideas. you have a timing issue that needs to be explored. I will open this up to other guys and see if they have any better thoughts

Roy