GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2005 cobalt. it starts and shuts off. security

Customer Question

I have a 2005 cobalt. it starts and shuts off. security light flashes and radio says lock. tried a new key from dealer. tried relearn procedure several times. {instructions were 2 wait 10 minutesX3 for sec lock light to go out, but mine goes out right away but I waited full 10 each cycle anyway}
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jon Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi welcome to our site my name is ***** ***** you are having trouble.Give this a try

1. Open the trunk.

2. Remove the spare tire cover.

3. Locate the inline fuse holder connected to the battery positive cable.

4. Pull on the wiring and see if the wires break.

5. Check for corrosion in the wires.

6. Check for loose fuse terminals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The metal pads on the 50 amp fuse were muddy, i cleaned them and put the fuse back. I tried to start it. It started. Shut down one second and radio says lock.I checked on battery and have 12.5v. I checked the jumper posts under the hood and i also have 12.5. Hower, in the trunk at the inline fuse on the wire input side i get hardly anything and the reading jumps uo and down. On the test blades on 59 amp inline fuse (with the fuse plugged in) i get nothing, but it does not appear to be blown.
I suspect your on the right track though because this problem started right after i put a huge suitcase in the trunk (the little piece of masonite covering the spare is cracked so it flexes)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, jon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jon, are you able to respond?