Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Involves a remote starter....if used instrument cluster

Customer Question
lights up with faults....if not...
Involves a remote starter....if used instrument cluster lights up with faults....if not used and just start this does not happen. Remote starter dealer gave me a 5 page run down on instrument clusters but all refers to a GMC Sierra, and mine is a 2002 Chev Silverado 2500 HD. Is the GMC Sierra and the Chev Silveradoo clusters made in the same factory? Any answers I can get will be helpful. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/22/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics replied 2 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

.if used instrument cluster lights up with faults....if not used and just start this does not happen.

??
sorry, not understanding......please rephrase & explain issue..........

Are you stating the Aftermarket Remote Start makes the Instrument Cluster show "faults"?
What "faults"?
When only Key is used, Instrument Cluster is O K.......with NO "faults"??
Brand & Model Remote Start?
What DATA ByPass was used?

.

faults are referring to dash warning lights....battery, gas gauge goes to empty, abs system, all light at various time....not continuous goes off and on...but only when started with the remote start. If ignition key is used there are no lights that light up. This is an aftermarket remote from Ziebart.

While GMC & Chevrolet use the same type Cluster, this does NOT sound like a issue with the Cluster.
IF the Cluster works good with Key, then the Remote Start Install has a problem
I have been selling & installing Remote Starts since their inception & on 100's of Chevrolet Trucks.
I have never seen a Remote Start cause issue with the Cluster, unless the Cluster is bad, which would show when the Key is used also.
GM has admitted problems with the Cluster "stepper motors" in GM & GMC Trucks.
This would make Gauges go crazy or show not working.
There was a TECH Bulletin for replacing the Clusters for free
I have installed "numerous" different Manufacturers of Remote Starts & have never had a problem.

It would be my suggestion to have another Aftermarket Remote Start Shop have a look first.......
Remote Starts on this vehicle is straight forward & relatively simple to someone that has experience

I see you posted the same issue:
http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/a4b316a1b06047b6962cbdfc6adfe772#

.

The responding Tech also told you the same..........
It appears your Installer is the problem & you should have someone else go over it