C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

I have a 99 chevy 1500 that is i believe locked from the

Customer Question

Hello i have a 99 chevy 1500 that is i believe locked from the anti theft system. It would start but wouldnt run so years ago i unplugged the alarm and it worked fine for a while then started the same start and not stay running thing again. But if i waited awhile and tried again it worked. It is now again doing the same but will not run no matter what i try. Ive herd that there may be a way to rest the sytem or something?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can do the 30 minute relearn. I have loaded the steps to do this. If you do not have a scan tool just unplug the battery for 5 minutes before you start this will clear any codes. Than perform the steps in the link CLICK HERE If after this is done it still does not start than we need to check the fuel pressure and spark on the plugs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not get the security light to go off. U mentioned wait 10 mins or so. Yet i never goes off

Sorry for the delay I was out of town this weekend. What I need is for you to do a 30 minute relearn. I need you to verify the battery is fully charged. Disconnect the positive and negative cables from the battery for 5 minutes. Reconnect and we will now do the relearn. You will insert the key into the ignition turn the key all the way letting it click than let go of it. Wait 11 minutes. Turn the key to the off positive remove the key. Wait 30 seconds. Repeat by turning the key over letting it sit in the on position again for 11 minutes. Turn off remove key and wait 30 seconds. Do this one more time for a total of 33 minutes. Do not worry about any lights. Once you have done this step 3 times after the last time off and wait 30 seconds try starting it. Let me know what happens. If it does not start we need a volt/ohm meter to verify what is bad if anything. Could be ignition or the key possible security module ect. Thanks.