Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just replaced an engine in a 2004 HD Silverado. everything…

Customer Question
I just replaced an...

I just replaced an engine in a 2004 HD Silverado. everything is installed correctly. the truck will not start or turn over. the security light is on steady not blinking

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/21/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Was the PCM replaced as well as the engine?

Have you done the GM security relearn procedure yet?

The PCM was not replaced. Just the long block. I did try the relearn process, but to my understanding it's only if the security light is blinking. Mine is sready on. I did try the relearn anyway. Noohing changed

HI,

The relearn should work when the light is on and wont go off after 10 seconds.

How many volts at the battery right now?

12.0 volts right now. I tried the rest learn by turning the key on and letting it sit for 10 min. Is that correct?

HI,

That is the first part. Did the light go off after 10 minutes?

No it didnt

HI,

Ok, if you have a spare key, have you tried it and did you get the same results

I haven't tried a spare key. It's a customers car. I'll call him right away and see if he has a spare.

HI,

Ok, if he does, try it and see if it works, either immediately or after the relearn procedure

I just spoke with him. He does not have another key.

HI,

A long shot, but try disconnecting the negative cable for 10 minutes, reconnect, then hook a battery charger up to it and do the 30 minute relearn procedure

Ok. We are headed to lunch now. I'll do it asap. Thanks for your help

HI,

You are welcome

I did the relearn test as you said. No luck. The light is still on. It doesn't turn over. To make sure I'm doing it correctly....I'm just turning the key on and letting it set. Correct?

HI,

Ok, you first turn the ignition to on, then immediately turn the key to crank and then release it to the on/run position for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the light should go off, then cycle key to off for 5 seconds. Then repeat procedure 2 more times. Full directions below

1-Turn ON the ignition,with the engine OFF.

2-Attempt to start the engine,then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .

5-Repeat steps 1through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes(the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor DataCode and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM)Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6-Start the engine(the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

Oh. Gotcha. Let me try this

HI,

Ok, sounds good and let me know results

I performed the test to a T. No results

HI,

Ok, not sure what else to try unless you have a Tech2 scan tool that you can check for any antitheft fault codes

I have a snap on solois

HI,

Ok, see if there are any antitheft fault codes. Should be B codes in the body control module

Ok.

HI,

Just checking to see if there were any fault codes

I'm getting ready to scan it

HI,

Ok, no problem - let me know the results

I can not get the scanner to connect. It says it can not connect to the VCM. I've tried it on 2 other vehicles and the scan tool works perfectly

HI,

Hmmm. Have you checked all the fuses?

HI,

I am at a loss at this point. I am going to opt out and see if another expert may know what has happened

Ok
Chevy Mechanic: Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED replied 2 years ago
Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED

I can help you get the truck going but first please accept the live phone call that way we can speed up the process and get the truck running but if you rather chat here that's fine. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks