Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy Cavalier. 04 Check engine light is on. I dont have a…

Customer Question
Chevy Cavalier. 04...

Chevy Cavalier. 04 Check engine light is on. I dont have a code. Car seems to run fine, but it does jump a bit when hitting the brakes. ***** ***** is my name

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The check engin light has come on 147,00 miles on the car. Unfortunately I dont have a code for it. Gas cap is tight. Car starts and runs fine for the most part. Car seems to speed up a bit when applying the brakes for some reason. Not sure if related

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/21/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, first off you can run by any parts store and they can read your codes at no charge, by the symptoms you are explaining it tells me that you have a failing power brake booster and its leaking vacuum into the engine which will give you a check engine light, and also make the engine speed up when pressing the brakes. if you start the car and press the brake you may hear a slight hissing noise that would be a dead ringer for a failed power brake booster. let me know if this helps and if you get the codes i can make sure i get you any additional info , Lou.