Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

After the initial start on a cold morning the motors runs 30…

Customer Question
After the initial start on...
After the initial start on a cold morning the motors runs for about 30 seconds and then dies and it will restart after a couple of minutes of tapping the gas pedal and engaging the starter until it starts. It acts like it looses it prime and is starving for fuel. My truck is an 2006 3500 Duramax with the Allison transmission.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/21/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

It's very common for these trucks to have issues with the fuel filters and/or the fuel filter housing. They will often allow air into the system causing the fuel injectors to lose prime. If it gets bad enough you will sometimes have to pump the priming pump on the top of the fuel filter to get it to run again.

How long has it been since the fuel filter has been changed?

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Your reply makes sense and I will change the filter, my read out says it is 51% of life.

When you change it, pay close attention to the condition of the plastic sensor on the bottom. They can crack and it's very hard to tell. Even a small crack will allow some air to suck into the filter or fuel to leak out. Also, make sure the new filter comes with new o-rings for both the top and bottom of the filter. Some cheaper filters will expect you to reuse the o-rings; it's never a good idea. They just don't seal right if you reuse them.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Also, don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

I just wanted to check and see if you need any additional information.

Please rate if you no longer need any assistance.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician