Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 Chevy Silverado won't star when cold as soon as sun…

Customer Question
2005 Chevy Silverado won't...

2005 Chevy Silverado won't star when cold as soon as sun come out and warms hood of truck starts right up runs great. changed water temp sensor didn't help. spary starting fluid still won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Cold weather won't start have been starting truck up before going to bed 10:00 pm truck outside get up 3:00 start again. then go to work at 7:00 starts fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/19/2016
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

HI there, I am CAm. I am sorry to hear your having troubles with your truck.

Can you start off by telling me what your first name please?

Also what engine is in your 2005? And when it won't start, you mean the engine turns over but does not catch?

I am not sure if you have been to the site before, if not here is a brief rundown of how it works. I am not in an office, I am a technician in a GM dealer, third party contracted to the site. I only get paid for my time when you provide a rating of a positive nature. I am here to help you solve this and I am anticipating this to be a conversation. The more you can tell me, the better the odds of us figuring out the issue.

The truck turns over wants to start sometimes it fires and runs backwards its fuel injection so I don't push down the gas pedal I just turn the ignition on and crank it turns over really good not the starter pretens like it wants to start when you turn the ignition off and you have the hood up the motor tries to run backwards firing intermittently I've tried to put starter fluid in it and acts like the automatic choke circut is telling the ECU it's warm when it's not.

Ok I really need to know what engine you have.

v6
200,000 miles change oil every 3000 miles new plugs and wires. new coolant sensor.

OK, perfect. This makes me think its a distributor cap and rotor. When was the last time you changed it?

if I park it in garage no problem starting garage full have to park outside. I have a feeling it's a sensor or regulator problem.
ok, I thought it didn't have distributor cap. I will check that.
right now I'm at work I'll check it when I get home 1:30 pm pacific time.

IT could be a sensor. The issue we face is knowing which one. Codes would help immensely, even better would be to have a scanner that will show the live data the ECM is reading, then we can compare to what its actually doing. Let me know when you get home and reply then.

Ok

Thanks.