BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My car started billowing smoke from the exhaust pipe it then

Customer Question

my car started billowing white smoke from the exhaust pipe it then stopped.it started right up and the smoke started billowing out again.the smell of the smoke was funny.i recently had a oil change.so what do you think it is.i had to have it tolled to a mechanic.the smoke didn"t smell like oil but something fresh .
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if you have the 1.8 liter engine or the 1.4 liter turbo engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.8 liter engine
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Most of the time when this engine does this it is because a head gasket has failed. If this occurred right after the oil was changed then I would start by checking the engine oil level. If the person that changed the oil added too much oil then this will occur also. I would check the oil first. If that is fine then this is an internal engine failure. The car should still be under the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty though.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps you with this issue with your car. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.