Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Chevy 4x4 with a 5.0 engine using excessive…

Customer Question
I have a 2012 Chevy...
I have a 2012 Chevy 4x4 with a 5.0 engine using excessive oil it has 124000 miles using 3 quarts every 1000 miles
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/19/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

HI David,

Yes, that is excessive.

I'd say time for a new engine.

Sorry for the bad news.

Gary

We have been told there has been a problem with these engines and that the pcv system I causing excessive oil burn. There was another friend that experienced same problem

Hi David,

can you remove the hose that goes from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold that contains the PCV valve, and inspect inside the hose?

If it is wet, then you do have a PCV issue, but it may have excessive blowby which is more important and more difficult to fix.

Lots of owners add some form of catch tank, oil/air separator, there are many on the market.

You could try this, but like most it is only a bandaid.

A leakdown test of the engine will reveal high loss past the rings.

Gary