Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

Chevy Cavalier had a bad ignition key cylinder, sat couple

Customer Question

Customer: Chevy Cavalier had a bad ignition key cylinder, sat for a couple months until I got around to replacing it. Replaced spark plugs, battery and it cranks fine. I have spark at the coils and can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key. But it will not turn over at all. The cranking sounds "dry", if that makes sense.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can't think of anything else. Is there anything in particular that would help figure out what the problem is?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what year is the cavalier?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried resetting the theft system, but it hasn't seemed to have any effect. Tried the 10 minute, 1-cycle version and the 3-cycle, 30-minute version.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you changed the lock cylinder along with the key then your problem is likely due to the system not being able to read the keys. Im not sure which relearn procedure you have tired but retry the relearn procedure I have enclosed in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Relearn%20Jan%2019.pdf